Home > Sports > Defensive Back Jordan Shaw brings veteran leadership

Defensive Back Jordan Shaw brings veteran leadership

Alisha Provence
Staff Writer

A season of excitement is currently underway for Hawks football, standing at 3-2 on the season and 1-1 in conference. Junior defensive back Jordan Shaw has played a vital role for Shorter this season by putting up impressive stats and guiding the Hawks one step closer toward their championship aspirations.

Shaw came to Shorter in 2011, but was redshirted in his freshman year. His collegiate football career began in 2012 when he initially was supposed to be an offensive player but the coaches moved him to defensive side of the ball to help the team.  Acting as a team leader this year is a major point of emphasis for Shaw. “Making sure my teammates know we can get the job done is huge. Preparation, dedication and commitment is needed,” said Shaw.

345664_IMG954723-2

Hearing the fans and supporters cheer in the stands is what pushes Shaw towards the ultimate goal of not wanting to disappoint. At the beginning of this year’s season, Shorter was projected to rank last in the conference. “People saying we’re the underdogs is like a slap in the face, and I want to see my team overcome the criticism. We are top contenders and have what it takes to win this season,” Shaw said.

Shaw earned the Gulf South Conference’s Defensive Player of the Week back in September for his amazing performance against nonconference rival, Mars Hill. He set the school record for interceptions during this game with three picks for 118 return yards and one touchdown. He was the 12th player ever in the GSC to accomplish such a feat. He is currently leading the country with eight interceptions this season.

Shaw’s coaches and teammates have noticed his incredible athleticism and playmaking abilities. Senior starting quarterback, and friend of Shaw, Eric Dodson said Shaw displays an uncanny awareness on the field. “He has the ability to recognize what opposing offenses want to run and then make the plays needed to put our team in a great position,” said Dodson.

Though Shaw can change the outlook of a game at any given point, it is his character off the field that stands out. “Shaw is an even better person off the field than he is on,” said Dodson. “He is a great person to be around, and it is an honor to have him as part of the football program.”

Sophomore slot back Gevon Jones believes Shorter currently has the best defense they’ve ever had since the program first began 10 years ago. ”We have the best secondary in the conference right now,” Jones said. “Shaw helps push the defense to be a family. They play for each other.”

As Hawks Football continues this season, Shaw wants to put up more numbers, that is, in the win column. “I want wins, my team deserves them more than anything. I may have found my perfect position, but I couldn’t do it without my boys.”