Home > Entertainment > Hillman crowned Miss Rome 2017

Hillman crowned Miss Rome 2017

Ashtin Hyde
Staff Writer
ashtin.hyde@hawks.shorter.edu

Saturday Sept. 23, Miss Shorter 2015 junior musical theatre major Sydney Hillman was crowned Miss Rome 2017. This crown gave Hillman her fourth Miss America Organization title and secured her a spot in the Miss Georgia 2017 pageant that will take place next summer.

Senior Caleb Britt was the emcee of the Miss Rome pageant and expressed how he was impressed with Hillman’s performance.

“She knows what she is doing and she really shines,” sad Britt. “She was very con dent and was just being herself which I feel is what won her the title.”

Hillman is no newcomer to the pageant world. She started competing within the Miss America Organization at the age of 13. She participated in nine Miss Outstanding Teen pageants during her teen years and over 20 pageants since 2008.

As she was preparing for the Miss Rome pageant, Hillman noted that she had to prepare not just physically, but mentally as well.

“I was definitely personally invested mentally which showed within the interview portion and with my onstage confidence,” said Hillman.

Confidence was needed for the ve categories that were scored during the pageant. These categories were interview, onstage question, talent, swimsuit and evening gown. Hillman acknowledged that her favorite portion of a pageant was the interview portion.

“The interview gives you a chance to express your opinion,” said Hillman.
“It is about seeing how you can lead and relate to others.”

While in her interview, Hillman teared up while talking about how she felt that she needed the title of Miss Rome 2017.

“I was able to talk about why I wanted the title, as well as the plans that I had to use the title to support United Way,” Hillman said. United Way is a national organization with a chapter in Rome that is designed to support local agencies. Currently Hillman is involved with the organization as the Director of Social Media.

According to Hillman, the title of Miss Rome was something that she was very passionate about. “I never go into a pageant with the mindset of ‘Oh I’m going to get this.’” said Hillman.

As Miss Rome 2017, Hillman will have the opportunity to be a representative of the city of Rome, promote United Way and promote her platform which is Virtual Volunteer. Hillman intends to use her platform to encourage individuals to volunteer.

“There is nothing like sitting down with other people and getting to hear their stories,” said Hillman. “It gives me a drive to help others.”

Pageants mean more to Hillman than just a sash or a four pointed crown, and she does not want others to think that is all it is about.

“I do not walk around with a crown on my head. Instead, I see it more meaningful to be kind and smiling because kindness means so much more then makeup and walking on a stage.” said Hillman.