Home > News > Communication arts major lands local internship

Communication arts major lands local internship

Colby Fisher
Staff Writer
colby.fisher@hawks.shorter.edu

This summer brought both excitement and adventure for senior communication arts major and marketing minor Ashtin Hyde. With an interest in healthcare communications, Hyde was looking to pursue her summer internship opportunity with a local healthcare facility in Rome. After contacting all of the healthcare facilities within the area, she was disappointed to not hear back from any of the prospects that she had reached out to. However, an opportunity to intern at Harbin Clinic was offered to her quite unexpected- ly weeks later.

“The Lord kept doors shut for me for a reason and put me in the right place at the right time for a reason,” said Hyde. “I believe it was the beginning steps of God’s plan that I am now so humbly getting to watch unfold. He knew I was supposed to be in the position that I am in now.”

After beginning her internship, Hyde was quickly introduced to the world of being a marketing intern along with three other girls from the Rome area. Within her first week, she performed basic office tasks and errands as well as being given two projects that would ultimately result in big decisions.

“One of the biggest things that I realized about my super- visors at Harbin was that they were not going to treat me like an intern. They were going to treat me as a real employee in the way that a lot was expected of me,” said Hyde.

In the weeks following, Hyde had the opportunity to travel to every Harbin Clinic office in the area, spend days
in new hire orientations, work on signage projects, organize meetings, write articles and press releases, and more. One of her biggest accomplishments while interning was having the opportunity to present information and research that she had collected over the course of seven weeks to the marketing department, in an effort to suggest that Harbin Clinic change the current provider of their waiting room and exam room content.

“It has truly been an amazing experience working with everyone in the Marketing de- partment at Harbin,” said Hyde. “I have learned so much and cannot even begin to describe the value of all of the experienc- es that I have had.”

In addition to her new experiences in the workplace, Hyde also had the opportunity to learn the many do’s and don’ts in the workplace as well as what it was like to have a real job outside of her time in the classroom.

“Along with the educational and professional knowledge that I have gained from this internship, I have also gained new friendships, and that is something that means the world to me,” said Hyde. “I cannot wait to continue and grow the friendships that I have made while at Harbin, and I could not be more thankful for the opportunity to be an intern for Harbin Clinic.”