Home > Sports > Star Spotlight: Kirk Wilson

Star Spotlight: Kirk Wilson

Alan Samson

Sports editor

Junior communication major Kirk Wilson came to Shorter to show off his abilities on the track and on the football field. Wilson transferred to Shorter in the spring of 2012 from Glendale Community College, a junior college in Arizona. He was looking for a school, emailed the head track coach at Shorter and became a vital part of the NAIA national championship team that year.

0-1

“We won the national championship as a team, and our 4×100-meter relay team also won a separate national championship that year,” said Wilson.

Wilson broke two conference records his first year with Shorter. He holds the record for the fastest 100-meter sprint and the 200-meter sprint. Wilson became an instant star on the track in his first year of competition at Shorter, but his heart was really with the game played on the gridiron more so than on the track.

Wilson sat down with his head track coach and discussed the possibility of running track and playing football.

“I informed Coach Byrd that I wanted to play football, and he told me as long as I keep my grades up I could play,” said Wilson.

Wilson took his talents to the football field his second year at Shorter. He made the team as a running back and saw limited playing time as a first-year player. He showed promise as a young player and scored twice in his first season.

Wilson is now a starting running back for the football team. His hard work has not only allowed him to receive more playing time, but he has earned a football scholarship to add to his track scholarship he received his first year at Shorter.

0

Wilson’s love for football has not waivered at all since joining the Hawks. In fact, people are shocked to find out that Wilson enjoys football more than running track and setting his speed records.

“I enjoy playing football. I work as hard as I can, but I would give up track in a heartbeat if football worked out well,” said Wilson.

Wilson enjoys putting the work in and getting the results that come with it. Football is fun for him in that aspect. He can see his hard work produced on the field, whereas in track he said you can run and practice, but if you are slower than the other guy, you still lose.

Wilson can still see a bright future for both programs for which he is involved. He believes the football team is heading in the right direction and will compete for many years to come.

Wilson also plans to add to his ring collection in his final year of track and field competition. He has three conference rings for track so far – one conference, one national championship and an individual national championship for their 4×100.

“I will win the 100 and 200 national championships, and the 4×100 team will win the conference championship,” said Wilson. “Our team has a shot to win it all, but it depends on the new guys and how they acclimate this year.”